Wednesday, November 29, 2006

New beginnings - again, and again, and again ...

Do you remember these squares? My daughter choose these four colors for a blanket. I made exactly four squares and lost interest. I've spent almost two hours ripping them out the other day! You ask yourself : WHY so long? Well, let me give you some advise: Do NEVER, EVER weave in the ends before your project is finished and you are absolutely sure you want it the way it is. I have woven in the ends so perfectly, I had a hard time finding them. And I've realized that binding off is not my strong thing. Every fifth stitch was knit into the split yarn and I had to yank it out pretty hard each time. Anyway, the squares are ripped out and now for my new blanket plan. Oh, yes, did I mention I've already started on the next blanket! Yeah, nuts. But it's going to take me a while, this one. I'm making lots and lots of little squares again and I'm telling myself, that it's O.K. to have to sew them together at one point or other. We'll see when we get there. Well, here I present my first almost finished square. The magic mosaic blanket square # 1. This kind of knitting is so much fun!
There was a time, right after finishing the Courthousestep blanket and after the Puppy Dog Socks, were for a few seconds I had no WIP's on my needles! Imagine! Of course that couldn't last for long. There are so many things I'd like to knit and being in a limbo like that is hard for me to decide what's next?! I don't HAVE to knit any presents for Christmas any more, all done. Still, what to do? I've got new needles to try out and this yarn.
David: What are you going to make with this ugly yarn?
Me: What ugly yarn? You mean my self dyed green yarn? ;o)
David: Oh! Soooooo pretty! ;o)

Anyway, I wanted to try out a new stitch pattern, which turned out more complicated than I thought. For instance: "purl through the back loop" - twice! Holy m........ Isn't there an easier way to do this stitch? As it turns out I don't have enough yarn to make a decent length of scarf, even so I LOVE the yellowish/neonish green yarn , so, it is no longer. Rip-rip-rip.

That happens a lot in the in-between-stage of a new project. Frenzied casting on, ripping out, casting on, ripping out ....

This one's a keeper. Ever since I've got this yarn from Sybille for my birthday it has been sitting on top of my sock yarn mountain. I like the color combination a lot. They will be simple stockinet stitch socks, but I'll knit until I run out of yarn. But I don't think they will be long enough for stockings, since I have a large size foot. I'm using 2 mm needles and it still seems too loose for me. I don't own smaller needles than 2 mm. I'm using metal ones here, but they slip right out very easily. I like Bamboo better, but with 2 mm I'm afraid they will break.
This one's my favorite! I've settled for the flying V-scarf. This yarn looks still great after four failed attempts on different patterns. Sometimes the yarn does not cooperate. But this pattern, which I made before, is made for this yarn or vice versa. I just love it! See the little sparkly things? They make it a bit scratchy, but the colors are phenomenal!
Tracy is like me. She doesn't like sewing knitted things together or weave in ends. She's looking for ways to avoid that. Multidirectional knitting started her thinking process, I guess. This scarf was knitted with her "Add as you go squares" method, which is similar to the "Building blocks shawl" by Iris Schreier, but not quite. Unfortunately I made this one with acrylic yarn, which can't be blocked and the color changes are to long, but I wanted to give it a try and that's what I had on hand.


Also done are the charity hats, which I made for Connie .They are on their way to her. You can read more about this in a previous post.

So, that's it for now. Lots of new stuff, which will keep me occupied, while I'm keeping Sam company. He's been better. When even a "bull winkle" isn't interesting to him, that is saying a lot!

12 comments:

wollsocke said...

..also ich muss mich ja immer etwas durchknuddeln, damit ich alles so einigermassen lesen kann...aber das grüne probestück gefällt mir mehr als gut, das ist so superschön....
annette

Anonymous said...

Poor Sam. He had surgery Monday? Lots of puppy kisses to him.

Oh no! Ripping out after you've woven in the ends. That green scarf looks great! Too bad there's not enough yarn and I love your mosaic blanket.

Sarah said...

Thanks so much for the comment on my blog. I wanted to check out your sea silk scarf. It is beautiful. I have also knit a shawl out of the seasilk and it is lovely to work with. Hope everything is going alright with your puppy Sam! Such a cutie.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I love days like this sometimes it's nothing but a frustration....the flying v is looking great!!!

Debi said...

Busy busy busy!! I love the new blanket! And the pretty green yarn :)
I once knit a sweater with all the ribbing done in purl thru the back loop - almost broke my wrist!!!
The socks look very autumn-y but loose on a 2.0! That's some skinny sock yarn!
Pumpkin sends hugs to Sam, even tho he's a dog! :)

hakucho said...

I love all your new works in progress as well as the finished hats :) Very nice! I have taken the mosaic knitting book out from the library, but haven't made anything from it yet...now you have inspired me to try a square!
Happy knitting :)

Anonymous said...

WOW Monika - you are on a roll for sure! The Mosaic blanket looks like it will be fun. Will each square be different pattern/color or all the same? I guess I could wait and see. I love the flying V scarf - really pretty yarn!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love the stitch on the green scarf. What is it ? Judy from Alaska ~~~

Strickfimmel said...

Ich glaube, es gibt nichts was Du nicht strickst! Die Sachen und Muster sehen einfach Klasse aus. Wie immer. Besonders gut gefällt mir das grüne Muster und der Glitzerschal.Ich drücke Sam und Dir für Montag die Daumen.

Anonymous said...

Would you mind telling me the yarn used for the yellow hat on the model. Luv it! Thank you.

Sue F
Little Knits
www.littleknits.com

Anonymous said...

Ha! You think purling through the back loop is hard? Try the utterly ridiculous cable increase on the Baudelaire socks! I'm so glad I only had to do it once for each sock!

And I actually think your "ugly green yarn" looks nice when knit up. :)

Dharma said...

Love the green both the yarn and the pattern.